Evaluating Myself as a Communicator



How I Evaluated Myself as a Communicator

I think of myself as an effective communicator because I am good at bringing a message across. Also, I think about what I am about to say before I say it. In fact, I prefer to make notes before I speak, and I like to think about what I am about to say to ensure the message is clear and concise. I do not wish to convey an ambiguous message, and I do not always want my point to be taken. Instead, I just want to be heard and do not think I am always right. I believe in transparency and accountability in communication processing. Therefore, I think repeatedly about the message I am about to communicate to ensure that it will not intentionally hurt anyone. I think my voice can sometimes send the wrong message, so I ensure that my tone is appropriate and my eye contact is direct. 

I must be honest that there are few times where anxiety and my emotions get in the way of my communication with others, but for the most part, I can communicate what I need to and do so effectively. However, there are times when I cannot stand by and let things happen around me that I feel uncomfortable about and not make known. I believe in speaking out when the needs arise especially, standing up for someone when they are right. I am perfecting my listening skills because this course has opened me up to the immeasurable possibilities of being a more effective communicator. 

How Others Evaluate Me as a Communicator




It is not easy to understand how other people perceive us. However, I am aware that my staff thinks I am an empathetic and caring individual through Ice-breakers and other activities. I believe in being respected as an individual who communicates with individuals daily. I am aware that not everyone around will see the positives in all that I say or do, but I take comfort that once I am doing and saying the right things, there is no need to feel uncomfortable within myself. Also, I acknowledge that I will not always be right in my assumptions and perceptions. However, I try my best to utilize the "Platinum Rule" even before I know the terminology. According to O'Hair et al. (2018), "Fortunately, it's possible to close the gap between how people perceive you and how you want to be perceived. Gather reliable information and then make a commitment to change." To find out how others perceive me, I can conduct a survey and listen to how others felt about my communication's effectiveness. By so doing, I will be tapping into this collective impression of others, which can give me valuable information of what is working for me and where I may need to adjust my communication style. 


Suggestions to Improve Your Perception Abilities and Become a Better Communicator. O'Hair et al. (2018).


Be thoughtful when you seek explanations. Pause to give yourself time to evaluate. 

Consider the perspective of the other person. Look beyond your own explanation for what you observe. 

Look beyond first impressions. Do not rely entirely on your first impressions; these often lead to inaccurate conclusions. 

Question your assumptions. Do not assume that you know what others think, feel, or believe based on their group affiliations or a host of other cultural factors. 

Consider the channel or channels being used. Do not assume that your sister is angry with you because she texts you often but hardly ever calls you.

Reference

O'Hair, D., Wiemann, M., Mullin, D. I., & Teven, J. (2018). Real communication: An introduction (4th. ed). New York: Bedford/St. Martin's.


Comments

  1. Hello Sherida,
    I really enjoyed reading you post! We look at what we think we know about others instead of getting to know them ourselves. I have learned, we really miss out on some great people because we have not taken the time out to really know who they are as an individual. Thanks for sharing such insightful information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are perfectly right, Christina. Thank you for highlighting how we can push away some great people.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sherida,
    I enjoyed your post as always! I agree with you that transparency and accountability
    is essential in the communication process and helps us to make sure our messages are clear and understood. I also think it helps us to give better feedback to others as well while we are actively listening to others as well.
    Best,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Rebecca. You are on point, thank you for adding value to my post.

      Delete
  3. I agree with you what we are all learning and reading the improve our communication skills will be useful to put in practice now. Especially when communicating with other team members, life can get in the way but a good reminder it's to always ask questions to listen before you respond and to know that your feelings although valid it's not what others understand and that it's all essential to be an effective communicator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for commenting and adding value to this post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Words of Inspiration and Motivation

Improving Boy's Education in Early Childhood

Farewell Team