Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions



What are Microaggressions?

As stated in Linbong (2020), "Microaggressions are defined as everyday, subtle, intentional — and oftentimes unintentional — interactions or behaviors that communicate some sort of bias toward historically marginalized groups."

Further stated in Washington et al. (2020), "Microaggressions are defined as verbal, behavioral, and environmental indignities that communicate hostile, derogatory, or negative racial slights and insults to the target person or group."

According to Dr Wong Sue, Laureate Education (2011), "Microaggressions can be intentional, conscious, it is the unintentional, unconscious forms that are outside the level of awareness that creates the greatest difficulty for people of color, for women and other marginalized groups in this society."

My Experience of Being a Target of Microaggression

It was August 2020, and I had just purchased a brand new 2020 Hyundai Creta. So, the next day I drove my car into the town center to grab a few items for the car itself. However, before I reached my intended destination, along the way, I was stopped by five different sets of police officers. After asking one of the officers the main reason, I was targeted by the officers. Only to be stopped five times in one day. Finally, he replied, "it is because your car is new, and they do not know it."

I am sharing this incident because, during one of the random stops, a particular officer ordered me out of the vehicle and asked me to accompany him to the opposite side of the road. I replied that my two-year-old was inside the vehicle so I am unable to go that far. But, he insisted that I accompany him to the rear of the vehicle. During this time, he requested my name, address and telephone number in a seducing manner. I have thought about the incident ever since. I believed I was stopped by the offers for more reasons than one. It is my opinion that they believe I was involved in some sort of illegal activities to be driving such a fancy car. Also, the officer who wanted my telephone number and was also making sexual advances using his power to dominate me, whom he considered as lesser powerful.

I believe this was an extreme act of microaggression. In fact, there were microinsults and microinvalidations directed at me by this police officer. In addition, I have seen where the concepts of gender microaggressions and sexual orientation microaggressions were evident. "Microaggressions seem small; but compounded over time, they can have a deleterious impact on an individual's experience, physical health, and psychological well-being. In fact, research suggests that subtle forms of interpersonal discrimination like microaggressions are at least as harmful as more overt expressions of discrimination" Washington et al. (2020). There is a saying that goes like this "what you don't know, won't hurt you." However, I beg to differ, because even though I did now know about microaggressions until now, I do know that I was offended by the actions of the police officer.


The insights gained from my observational experiences have changed my perception of how people must be treated. As human beings and as the definitions above suggests, sometimes we unintentionally display microaggressions, meaning we do and say things and not even realized what we have done. However, we can be the agent of change by being more aware of our biases and impact on people. We all need to commit to working on these things in order to create a more harmonious society.  According to Dr Sue, Laureate Education (2011) "Microaggressions are harmful because they indeed reflect a world view that is one of inferiority/superiority, inclusion/exclusion or in some sense reflect an oppressive belief in if we talk about racial microaggressions, white supremacy." We are challenged to avoid discrimination, prejudice, and stereotypes on all individuals, especially our children who are less fortunate and most vulnerable in society, along with their families.


References

Limbong, A. (2020, June 9). Microaggressions Are A Big Deal: How To Talk Them Out And When To Walk Away. https://www.npr.org/2020/06/08/872371063/microaggressions-are-a-big-deal-how-to-talk-them-out-and-when-to-walk-away


Washington, E. F., Hall Birch, A., & Roberts, M. (2020, July 3). When and How to Respond to Microaggressions. https://hbr.org/2020/07/when-and-how-to-respond-to-microaggressions

Comments

  1. I am so sorry this happened and continues to happen to you! I cannot imagine how exhausting it is. I read an article that talks about racial battle fatigue. This race-related stress is "appraised by the individual (or group) as taxing or exceeding his or her available resources and thus endangering his or her well-being (health)". I agree that we must change our treatment of others. This hurtful and damaging behavior is making people sick. We have to do our part in stopping this!

    Article: https://dps.aas.org/sites/dps.aas.org/files/professional-climate/TheLong-TermEffectsofRacialMicroaggressionsonPeopleofColorinSTEM_DPS2017.pdf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy
      Thank you for your words of encouragement, and for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Hi Sherida,

    I am so sorry that happened to you. It makes me sick when bad police officers take advantage of people. I have to keep reminding myself there are good police officers in this world. Especially after these events that transpired over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and commenting Stacey. We have to remain encouraged!

      Delete
  3. Hi Sherida, I’m so sorry that happened to you. I’ve been interrupted in meetings, asked to get coffee as the only woman in the room, called “bossy” or “emotional,” and felt the pressure to conform to male standards of leadership. These daily, subtle microaggressions take their toll, and they are even more pronounced for women of color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jade,
      Thank you for stopping by and sharing your experience. This course is a real eye-opener. We were over-looking so many daily, subtle microaggressions.

      Delete
  4. Sherida,
    I'm so sorry this happened to you. As someone who crosses the US/Mexico border often, I am all too familiar with people in power trying to intimidate you, discriminate against you, all because they wear a badge, and you're a different skin color than they are.
    I would encourage you to write a letter and send it to your elected officials regarding this event, and encourage them to provide body cams for your police officers, or better training. Whatever you feel would be the best solution to this predicament.
    Here is a website provided by another professor that I found very useful.
    https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/how-write-effective-letter-your-policy-maker

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Words of Inspiration and Motivation

Improving Boy's Education in Early Childhood

Farewell Team