Consequences of Stress on Children's Development

 

 Natural Disasters occur every so often and harm many children and their families globally. Like those children, I have the experience of natural disasters in the form of hurricanes. However, Hurricane Gilbert, 1988 has been the most lasting and impactful experience, one that is still vivid in my mind. I was only 12 years old. We heard on the news that a hurricane was coming and it would make landfall at approximately 3:00 pm on September 12, 1988. I went to school that very day. While at school, the principal sent us home midday, for us to escape the eventualities. Besides, upon reaching home, I was in my community playing until the rain started. Not knowing what to expect, I was anticipating this hurricane as though it was a gift coming my way.  The wind and the rain started, and we were all inside. 

    Furthermore, Hurricane Gilbert slammed an unprepared Jamaica. No one battened their windows and doors, nor secured non-perishable food items and stock up on batteries and candles neither ensuring the security of essential documents. There were no preparations made. However, the rain fell in two segments. No sooner than the first portion eased up all the zinc from the roof of the house and the fruit trees such as coconut were on the ground. We went outside to pick up, and put the sheets of zinc aside and secured some of the fruits that we could. Then, suddenly the rain again started pouring, and we all had to go inside. Everyone’s bed was wet, except mine. So I started telling them that their beds are wet, but mine is dry. But to my surprise, when I went to check back on my bed, it was soaking wet. In all of this, I was not fearful; it was just natural to me. After a long night, morning came, and we all went outside to see what were the damages. My grandmother was a surprise to learn that theft had taken all her zinc, and there was none to go back on the roof.

Additionally, there was no electricity for weeks, so many foods spoil in the refrigerator, many roads were impassable, places of business were closed, the grocery shops or Deli were marrying food items. I was separated from my family for two weeks. I was spending time with my extended family in another district; this was so because electricity came back at their home first and my grandmother wanted to reduce some of the stress she thought I was experiencing. But, I was not psychologically impacted. It took us a while as a country to get back on our feet, but we overcame through support from our neighbour and friends globally. 

    Similarly, Tiara McIntosh, in the journal article, Natural Disasters shared the experience of natural disasters and how they affect other children around the globe. “When there is a natural disaster occurring such as hurricanes, tornadoes, flooding, it can affect not only the family but the children as well. The children are often left to relocate, live with other family members, or separated from their parents. Natural disasters can lead to externalizing behaviours with kids” (McIntosh, 2019). When children are placed in unfortunate situations such as these, their biosocial, psychosocial and cognitive development is affected severely. 

The social impact on children impacted by a traumatic event such as natural disaster can be devastatingly contributing to “emotional strains and affecting a child’s physical and emotional growth” (LaGreca & Prinstein, 2002; Silverman et al., 2008). The emotional turmoil may be displayed through re-experiencing the event, hyperarousal, externalizing symptoms or European Journal of Educational Sciences, Special Edition, October 2019, ISSN:1857-6036 68 internalizing symptoms (Wang et a;., 2006, p.364). Research has shown that within a year after the traumatic event, children are often at a heightened risk for anxiety, nervousness, anger, depression, and acting out at school or home (Kataoka et al., 2003; Lui et al., 2011). Longer-term issues may include an increased risk for depending on an illegal substance, anxiety-related problems, depression, and suicide attempts (Dube et al., 2001; McFarlane & Van Hoof, 2009: Putnam, 2006; Strauss, Dapp, Anders, von Rentein-Kruse, & Schmidt, 2011). Given the negative psychological series of traumatic events can have on young people, broadly accessible techniques that address their mental health necessities are the main priority (Peek, 2008). School-based mental health interventions are particularly appropriate (McIntosh, 2019).

“The Journey of Hope was initially developed in response to a post Katrina gang fight in New Orleans middle school after a crisis counsellor reached out to save the children, an international organization involved in Hurricane Katrina recovery efforts” (McIntosh, 2019). The deadliest U.S. hurricane on record was a Category 4 storm that hit the island city of Galveston, Texas, on Sept. 8, 1900. Some 8,000 people lost their lives when the island was destroyed by 15-ft waves and 130-mph winds. Natural Disasters have psychosocial effects on children because if they are unable to go to school and see their peers and teachers and also engage in the activities to which they are accustomed, it will take a toll on their emotions. Additionally, cognitively they are unable to engage in activities that will stimulate the processes of the brain.

In concluding, children are to be allowed to develop and grow in stable, secure environments that are free of natural and human-made hazards.

Resources

McIntosh, T. (2019) European Journal of Educational Sciences, spec-ed p67-75 Oct 2019. (EJ1236998) https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1236998.pdf

https://www.dosomething.org/us/facts/11-facts-about-hurricanes

Comments

  1. Hi. Thanks for sharing your hurricane experience. We went through hurricanes almost a year apart. To me they are so scary and I will always evacuate, ever since I experienced Hugo. I’m glad to hear you weren’t psychologically effected. Many children can be to go through what you experienced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sherida!

    Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I agree that hurricanes and natural disasters can greatly impact children's lives and even cause emotional trauma. When I was little, I also experienced a fairly strong hurricane that passed through Puerto Rico. Fortunately, my family was able to prepare to receive it, and we had no major damage other than being without electricity and water for a while. I am glad that Hurricane Gilbert was not a traumatic experience for you. For many other children and families, it is a traumatic experience that will affect them for life. Recently, two hurricanes hit Honduras and Nicaragua, and they were disastrous. Thinking of all the families and children who lost their homes and were left with nothing because of those hurricanes breaks my heart.

    Antoinette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sherida,
    This must have been a traumatic event for a lot of people! Thankfully it wasn't for you as a child. I am glad to hear that neighbors were able to help globally to get the country back to stability. It is so important for community and neighbors to rally around at times as these.
    Lorraine Nwofia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sherida

    I'm sure this was a very horrific experience for you and others, and I appreciate you sharing. Natural disasters have impacted so many people all over the world and it breaks my heart. I'm not really familiar with hurricane Gilbert but I know Katrina all to well and from that storm I had family members who lost everything they had but the clothes on their back. Thank you for the great information I gain more insight on this subject.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Words of Inspiration and Motivation

Improving Boy's Education in Early Childhood

Farewell Team