Team Building and Collaboration



The above quote sums up, in a nutshell, some of the attributes of a great team or group. When individuals are mindful of these characteristics, it will be challenging to say goodbye.

My Farewell Experience

"High-performance teams add tremendous value to organisations. Nurturing and developing them aids efficiency and maximises the effectiveness and flexibility of individuals and the organisation" (Crowe Associates (n.d.). 

A few years back, I can recall that the institution where I worked previously was visited by a team of volunteers from Great Shape Inc. These individuals were teachers on an internship program. As a result, they came to share best practices and to learn from us. The duration with us was about a month. The experience of intercultural exchanges was terrific. Besides, being culturally aware teaches you valuable skills, but it is also a lot of fun! You make new friends, But no sooner than you know, it will all come to an end. 

The closing ritual and adjournment, where we would separate from the Great Shape Team, were spectacular. I remember we had a mini-concert where individuals bid goodbyes and shared their experience of being in direct contact with the team. The collaboration, cooperation, and comradery shared allowed tears of joy to flow from individuals; it was pure love. I remember doing a remix to the original version of "It's Not the I But the You in Me." https://www.youtube.com /watch?v=dhfFsj5ALN0. The team was offered refreshments which served as a reminder of the daily Jamaican foods they experienced while being with us. 

In addition, we exchanged contact information such as telephone numbers and email addresses. We followed each other on Facebook and still do even up to this very moment. The experience was phenomenal. It was challenging to part with such great individuals who were highly professional, motivated and shared a common goal. The team leader, Dr Gregg, epitomised true leadership qualities that are worthy of emulating.

My Anticipated Farewell

I anticipate adjourning from my amazing colleagues here at Walden by participating in a Graduation Ceremony. I am so excited! Also, all my colleagues and I will endure to the end and not encounter any setbacks along the journey of completion for no reason. I anticipate that we will keep in touch and cherish the memories and experiences we have shared weekly, bearing in mind that the interconnection forged here at Walden is priceless.

“Ideas alone cannot fully link people together. What connects people is not mere ideas but deep personal commitments. Commitments involve feeling, passion, and drive. Ideas only bring heads together.”

(Laureate Education n.d.; Williams, 2007, p. 139)




http://www.crowe-associates.co.uk/teams-and-groups/team-building-principles/

https://class.content.laureate.net/a959f9a9303509924a70f4a6fbff665a.html#section_container

Comments

  1. Sherida,

    Thank you again for an absolutely wonderful post! I too am looking forward to celebrating at graduation when we are finished. Which date are you hoping to walk at? I think mine will have to be Jan 2023, since the summer graduation happens when I still have 2 weeks left in the last course!

    I agree that adjoining will be fun and hope to stay in contact with all my colleagues so we can keep expanding our horizons as I have learned so much from you all throughout this journey!

    Best,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca,

      I think I am looking at summer. When did you starting your studies?

      Delete
  2. Hello Sherida!

    I love your quote! It's so great when we have the opportunity to be part of a fantastic group of people who care about each other, respect, trust, and support each other. I am so happy to have met you and all of the amazing colleagues through this Master's Degree. Thank you for always sharing insightful posts every week and for being an exceptional early childhood professional. I enjoy reading all of your weekly posts!

    Antoinette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Antoinette,
      I am delighted to have met you and my other colleagues as well. Thank you for stopping by and reading and commenting on my posts weekly.

      Delete
  3. Your quotes this week have really resonated with me and I will be adding to my file of quotations to share/read when I see inspiration. I have had a similar experience as you did but it was with a community organizing event during my undergrad, our last goodbye together was actually a long weekend in Monterey, we cried, talked about our wins and established closed friendships I still have today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited that we share similar experiences. In fact, it was just yesterday, that two members of the Great Shape Team made contact.

      Delete
  4. Sherida, I have enjoyed being a part of this Walden team with you! Being a part of a respectful group made it easy to share my stories and points of view without a fear of being judged. Thank you for all your blog posts and discussion board wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy,
      Thank you and my others colleagues for the high level of maturity shown, and that we can all express ourselves fear or intimidation. You are fantastic!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Words of Inspiration and Motivation

Improving Boy's Education in Early Childhood

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression