The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression






Working with Children and Families From Diverse Backgrounds

To work effectively with families from diverse backgrounds, educators need to be thoughtful and understand the culture of the families they work with and design outreach and communication strategies that respond to that group's specific social, cultural, and linguistic needs and values.

My hope for all children and their families is, irrespective of their race, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, gender, ethnic, social and cultural backgrounds, they are in safe and welcoming environments, where all children and their families will feel comfortable and where services are provided in culturally safe and inclusive ways. Thus, eliminating the risk of discrimination, exclusion, bullying and abuse. In addition, it is my hope that all microaggressions will end. 

 

                  

One Goal Related to Diversity, Equity and Social Justice:


To promote diversity, equity and social justice for all stakeholders in a culturally responsive and inclusive environment.


To My Colleagues

Having traversed this course in its entirety, I am more adept at how diversity, equity and social justice play a significant role in the lives of young children and their families. For the first time, I am aware of the various microaggressions and how to minimize them in my classroom and workplace. Thank you to all my colleagues for your participation in the weekly discussions and blog posts. Your input has greatly influenced my thinking and the level of writing that I produce, Kudos to you all. A very special thank you to Dr Wendy McCarty for the creative and innovative ways she structures the weekly assignments and for the timely and quality feedback she has provided throughout the course. Indeed, these eight weeks have been challenging but rewarding. Once again, I thank you all, and hope to see you in the next class!






Comments

  1. Thank you so much for always adding so much depth and openness to our discussions and posts throughout these past eight weeks. It has been a privilege to learn with you. Keep up the wonderful work and I know your students and families are lucky to have you in their lives.
    Best,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting Rebecca. Indeed, it was my pleasure working with you. I wish you all the very best in the future. Keep being the amazing person you are.

    Sherida

    ReplyDelete

  3. Hello Sherida!
    Your posts always enlighten my day! Thanks for sharing your wisdom and experiences with us during these past eight weeks. It is always a pleasure working and learning with you. I wish you all the best in the following courses and hope to see you in the next one.
    Antoinette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much Antoinette. It is my pleasure working with you as well. I admire your hard work and dedication. Keep working hard and all the best in your endeavors.

      Sherida

      Delete
  4. Hello Sherida!

    Your post was awesome what a way to end this blog experience with this class. Thank you for all of you insight and for sharing your experiences. It has been a pleasure rending and responding to such great work. Best of luck throughout this program.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for an amazing eight weeks Christina. I am looking forward to learning from and sharing with you in our next class. Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for always being so open over these pass 8 weeks. Your post were encouraging, informing, and motivating. I look forward to us crossing paths again but if not I wish you nothing but the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are most welcome, Jade. I wish you all the very best as well. I definitely look forward to learning from you as well.

    Sherida

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Words of Inspiration and Motivation

Improving Boy's Education in Early Childhood

Farewell Team