"My Connections to Play"

 


    

Getting dirty and spending most of my days outdoor discovering the world around me, being in touch with nature and my inner self summarise my childhood experience of play. 





                    




Essential Tools for Play

Trees could be used for so many outdoor activities such as climbing and swinging. As a child, I was the eldest of all my cousins. I enjoyed climbing small trees and sitting in them. As I got older, I could climb every tree in the yard except the coconut trees. 
The tire in the tree represents a swing in my childhood days. I would sit in the tire for hours, and be pushed by my cousin, Jeff, who lived next door. Each time  I was pushed, I thought of reaching the sky, after all, the sky is the limit. This was a fun-filled, enjoyable activity. Significantly, the tire in the tree was also used to roll down the road with a stick. Oh, how exciting this game was. I played for hours.

The seesaw was another way of enjoying my childhood. I would play with my friend and neighbour Dacia, who was my age group. However, she was slightly bigger in the body. The seesaw was not a solo activity, so I had to wait until someone I could play with arrived because it needed to be balanced. Additionally, there is the jump rope, which I call skipping. 

Play for me as a child was very crucial. Through play, I was able to communicate my emotional needs to my friends. We pretended to shop-keepers, families with children, doctors, among other things.  We learned conflict resolution skills without being aware. Also, we learned empathy and were physically healthy. There were times during play that we were swamped with play so much that we forgot to eat. Playing outdoors enabled us to drink plenty of water, which contributed to our biosocial development. 

Individuals have supported me during play by protecting and keeping me safe. Besides, they have contributed to my development by being partners during the various activities that I participated in. They have also displayed empathy and care in the event; there was an accident or incident during play. During my childhood days, I had the opportunity to live as a child, despite being raised by my grandmother. Moreover, I was able to play without fear.  

Today, many children are denied the rights to play and engage in recreational activities that will enhance their biosocial, cognitive and psychosocial development. Many children are locked inside their homes due to safety or health reasons. Also, because parents are busy trying to make ends meet and enhance their standard of living. As a result, children are neglected or withdrawn from society. They often use technological devices such as cell phones, tablets and computers, which keep them indoors and away from outdoor physical activities, increasing anxiety, depression and obesity.
 
Many of these children are being raised in an increasingly hurried and pressured style that may limit the protective benefits they would gain from child-driven play. Because every child deserves the opportunity to develop to their unique potential, child advocates must consider all factors that interfere with optimal development and press for circumstances that allow each child to fully reap the advantages associated with play (Almon, 2002). 

Play today is different from the play that I was engaged in. We were allowed to play, play and play. But now, children are in the book, on devices or involved in structured play. Children today are unaware of some of the activities I participated in as a child. They will tell you "it's modern days now."  


References

Almon, K. (, 2002). The vital role of play in early childhood education. Gateways, 43. Retrieved from http://www.waldorfresearchinstitute.org/pdf/BAPlayAlmon.pdf

https://thekindergartenconnection.com/inspiring-quotes-about-play/

Comments

  1. Hi, Sherida

    Thank you for your response. I feel we have been so lucky to be able to have all those experiences. Living by the ocean has always been something that I treasured. Today I live in Virginia Beach and walk like you to the ocean front. You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful place. I was reading along and thinking how interesting it was to find so many similarities on the games we chose to play and how different the support system was. You had many people around you. I grew up playing mostly with family members. I enjoyed reading your blog and no, I did not play frisbee although it sounds like fun.

    Toni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smile, it is not too late to try Frisbee you know, Toni. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Hello Sherida!

    Thanks for a great post, as always! I enjoyed reading it. I identify with you because I also spent a lot of time playing outside with my siblings during childhood. It seems that you had incredible experiences playing during childhood. I also used to play in the park with the seesaw, swing, and jump rope, which was super fun. Childhood is the best stage of our life. We were lucky to have great experiences and live them to the fullest. We must encourage today's children to play more, explore more, and enjoy quality time outdoors. When they grew up, they will thank us.

    Antoinette

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you that children need to play more. Did you play a game of Jacks?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember climbing trees and swinging on their branches as a child as well. Yes, children these days won’t have the same experiences as we did, due to technology taking over.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Words of Inspiration and Motivation

Improving Boy's Education in Early Childhood

Farewell Team